Monday, May 11, 2009

What are your reading habits?

I had to write this regarding reading habits of people as I recently met 4 different people who said they hate to read novels and this includes my dear husband as well. And I just dont know how they survive without reading a novel.

Anyways, I came across this article couple of days ago about a poll on reading habits. According to the poll, and this is terribly sad to hear, one in four human beings did not read a book in the past year. (What do these people do before they go to asleep??)

The poll also points out that women buy/read more books than men.

What are your reading/buying habits? If you're frequenting this blog, I'm sure you're an avid reader.

I borrow about 2-4 books every month from library. Do I read all of them? Mostly, yes. But there are books that I can simply not get into. I recently borrowed a very popular book called Q&A by Vikas Swarup. I am more inclined to read views from South Asian and Indian writers; just to see what they are up to and I mostly like books by “my people.” This book got rave reviews. It did nothing for me. I gave up after the first hour or so.

I love Carl Hiaasen's writings and picked up his latest, Nature Girl but I couldn't cross past first fifteen pages. But then I recently ended up reading The Reluctant Fundamentalist, a book I was sure I would find too self-important.

I hope that those who don't read much, will pick up a book and give it a shot--just to see if it works for them. Who knows, the book you pick up will make you fall in love with reading!

Meanwhile I will work on my husband to help him pick up a book.......

Lets see how it goes,

Will keep you posted on that for sure.

TC,

Snehal


No comments:

Post a Comment